Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Quality vs. Quantity


This is something I think we all struggle with. How do we justify spending that extra money when we can get [pretty much fill in the blank] so much cheaper? We have somehow traded the concept of "really great pieces" for "lots of pieces".

Knitting takes time. So my rule of thumb has always been to spend as much as you can afford because you won't end up regretting it. Of course, that means you actually have to finish the piece and we know how hard that can be!

I've been in a bit of a panic this week because I am attending a black tie event on Saturday--which I didn't get onto my calendar, so totally forgot about. I got reminded on Sunday and I spent some time avoiding thinking about it. I've taken some action, but the logical one--trying on what I had--seemed to elude me. So Wednesday morning at 7:45 I'm trying on the only long outfit I have. It is about 8 years old, but when I zipped into the skirt it still fit (whew!) and when I slipped on the knitted evening top--it looked great! So I know I'm not the same as I was 8 years ago, but I think I can pull this off. Not sure on shoes, and I need the right bra, but I think the money I spent 8 years ago is going to totally save me on Saturday. Needless to say, Mitch tried on his Armani tuxedo (bought twice as many if not more years ago) and it looked great. Shirt all pressed and ready to go.

Today I'm wearing another piece done several years ago. This got me thinking about how worth it is to buy the good stuff, spend the time knitting it and especially, spend the time finishing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment